[accom-list] Minister of Foreign Affairs Communique and ACCOM's Reaction

ACCOM - Secretary General info at accom.ca
Mon Oct 10 18:39:25 EDT 2011

Dear ACCOM Member,

Please find below the official communique issued today by the Foreign
Affairs Minister of Canada Mr. John Baird regarding the current tragic
events taking place in Egypt, and the immediate reply issued by Mr.
Antoine A.Malek ACCOM's President in the same regard.

It is to be noted that ACCOM, represented by Mr. A.Malek, was invited
last week to attend the first symposium on the new Office of Freedom of
Religion. This new initiative will occupy an important place in the
foreign policy of Canada. Mr. A.Malek talked about the Coptic dossier in
the presence of Mr. Baird the Minister of Foreign Affairs and the
representatives of all Canadian ethnic groups.

Quote:

Statement by Minister Baird on Situation in Egypt

*(No. 292 - October 10, 2011 -- 2:30 p.m. ET)* Foreign Affairs Minister
John Baird today issued the following statement:

"I am very concerned about the violence in Egypt over this weekend. On
behalf of all Canadians, I offer my condolences to the families of the
victims.

"Religious extremism has no place in modern society and the new Egypt.
Canada urges all involved to work together to build a society where
religious communities can live and prosper together and build a new Egypt.

"Freedom of religion is a fundamental human right and a vital building
block for healthy democracies. People of faith must be able to practice
and worship in peace and security."

*_SOME PREVIOUS STATEMENTS_*

*October 3, 2011:*  Address by Minister Baird at the Office of Religious
Freedom Stakeholder Consultations

www.international.gc.ca/media/aff/speeches-discours/2011/2011-034.aspx?lang=eng&view=d
<http://www.international.gc.ca/media/aff/speeches-discours/2011/2011-034.aspx?lang=eng&view=d>

*September 26, 2011:*  Address by theHonourableJohn Baird, Minister of
Foreign Affairs, to the United Nations General Assembly

www.international.gc.ca/media/aff/speeches-discours/2011/2011-030.aspx?lang=eng&view=d
<http://www.international.gc.ca/media/aff/speeches-discours/2011/2011-030.aspx?lang=eng&view=d>

Unquote

Following the above statement, Mr. A.Malek sent the below `mentioned
reply to the office of Minister Baird:

Quote:

The reaction of the Minister Baird is disappointing!

·Army vehicles running-over the Copts;

·The Egyptian Minister of Information calling on the Muslims to 'protect
the Army' from the Copts;

·The 'Mufti of the Republic' (appointed by the state) who publicly
announced on TV (and I saw him personally) that Christians are infidels
and their priests are drug addicts;

·21 Copts were killed, and several skulls crushed;

And so on...You will understand the reason for my disappointment.

Antoine A.Malek
President
ACCOM
Association of the Community Copt Orthodox of Montreal

Unquote.